The battery is the backbone of a vehicle and a weak condition of a car battery can give you hassled driving experience. When you wake up in a chilled morning, get on the driver's seat, turn the key in the ignition, and you feel that the engine is not getting started, it is natural that you will feel really frustrated.
You cannot deny it that cold weather is one of the reasons of trouble with a car battery. The frigid temperature reduces the pace of chemical reaction inside it and affects severely. A good quality car battery has the ability to work in various conditions. However, the cold weather reduces the superior quality of batteries and can make them useless.
In this article, some useful tips have been given to help you protect your car battery from failure in winter. You can also take some precautions before the temperature becomes colder.
The tips that will help you avoid dead car battery are as mentioned below:
- Check the car battery you are using and if it is quite old this is the time to replace it. And bring the new one before the temperature becomes colder. You do not have to check the quality by considering the battery's size. The quality and the aptness do not depend on the battery size. Follow the manual, know your requirement and buy the right car battery to avoid trouble.
- Keep it free of corrosion. Corrosion puts a very harmful effect on it. It prevents a vehicle to get started. If there is a faulty connection that lets acid to release and corrode the whole space. That is why you need to check the battery on a regular basis to prevent corrosion. Take a clean and dry cloth to clean the corroded area and keep it properly sealed.
- You should install and use a blanket to wrap around the battery. In freezing cold weather, the battery fluid can be enough heated up by the blanket. Being mounted on the cell, a trickle charger provides adequate power during the time when the car is off.
- If you widely use all the car accessories, now is the time to minimize it. Avoid starting the vehicle with the radio and the heater turned on. Also, when the car is idle, turn off all the accessories. This way, the car will deliver sufficient power to the alternator for charging the battery and power the electrical systems.
- If you are not driving, do not keep the car outside for a long time. Disconnect the battery because when the car is off, the power can be drained by some devices, like alarm system, clock etc. Therefore, when you store the vehicle in the garage, disconnect the battery to prolong its life.
If you follow the above-mentioned guidelines, you will certainly be able to protect your car battery from damage in this winter. Take care of your vehicle's battery and enjoy a trouble-free driving experience in this winter and the whole year ahead.